“Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind! Look on the scoreboard, your team’s behind!” I expect we’ll be cheering that cheer to our opponents alot this year! Can’t wait, the Tigers’ football season will be here before you know it!
But first, today is the 4th of July!
Do you need to bring a side dish to a 4th of July Barbecue or Celebration Party today? Here’s a couple of quick & easy recipes with WATERMELON, a must have on this holiday! These recipes are compliments of Rachel Ray!
- 3 cups watermelon, cut into small dice
- 1 cucumber, seeded and cut into small dice
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1 small red onion, cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- Combine watermelon, cucumber, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, mint, lime zest and juice in a serving dish.
- Season with salt just before you serve to keep the watermelon from extracting its juice.
- Serve with tortilla chips or over steak, chicken or fish!
WATERMELON ICE POPS
- 1 seedless watermelon, cut into 1- to 2-inch rounds
- Popsicle sticks
- Cut rectangular planks out of the rounds.
- Stick a popsicle stick into the bottom of each plank.
- Freeze overnight.
- Slice the watermelon into large slices about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Remove the rind and cut each of the slices into cubes.
- Places the cubes onto a sheet tray.
- Wrap the sheet tray in plastic wrap and freeze the cubes for a few hours, or until completely frozen.
- If not using them right away, place the frozen cubes into a resealable plastic bag for easier storage.
Enjoy in your favorite summer drink !
- Watermelon Ice Cubes (see recipe above)
- Mix your favorite fresh lemonade.
- Put watermelon ice cubes into a glass.
- Pour lemonade over watermelon cubes.
Serve & enjoy!
I hope everyone enjoys some watermelon on the holiday today! Remember, if you want to take a Tiger Tailgate dish from last year to your cookout today, look on our RECIPES page for your favorite! I plan on making & taking one to the party we’re invited … Susan’s Veggie Salsa, which was a big hit at our tailgates last season!
~ GO TIGERS!